Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday Book Rec: 1000 Questions


I am a book addict. It's just that simple. I will steal minutes to read "just one more line" and hide out in strange places like my closet to get it in before the kids discover I'm missing. The good thing is, I've got them hooked, too, and believe me, there's no greater feeling than suddenly noticing they're suspiciously quiet, only to happen upon them innocently absorbed in a book on the floor (and your favorite Sharpie is still hidden where you left it).

Here's what we're reading this week:


Question Boy Meets Little Miss Know-It-All (Richard Jackson Books (Atheneum Hardcover))
Amazon Image

Boy oh boy, do I identify with this one. Maybe that's why it was so very funny to me. My 6-year-old had a guilty-amused look in her eye as well as we read through this one. I wonder why. 


The ingenious man who wrote this book takes a hilarious crack at two of the most notorious phases kids go through: one where they ask a gajillion questions in the span of five minutes, wearing you down to nothing. And the other, later in life, where they think they know it all and are happy to tell you as much. I love the Superhero theme, how the mailman and policewoman and crew were all portrayed as Superheroes that Question Boy easily ran off with all his questions. The look of fear on their faces as they try to escape is priceless and reminds me of the look I have some days under the weight of S's many, many questions.


What's more, I really like books that allow me to become more animated than usual and reading this one was like auditioning for that role of a lifetime- I gave it my all and let the animations fly. It was fun to read and quickly earned a place among my list of favorites and do-agains.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a comment, question or suggestion to share?