Thursday, March 10, 2011

From Mommy's Heart: Letters to My Kids

Love Letter : i Love you in the sand Stock Photo
Image Source: 123RF
I attended one of the greatest playdates-slash-homeschool-get-togethers ever recently and while the other moms and I were connecting beautifully, one of them shared a letter she had written to her kids while they were a little younger with the purpose of giving them something to read and hold on to when they are grown. Some of her kids even read them now and fully enjoy the stories of when they were little.

She suggested I try it too, instead of going with my tendency to go overboard by trying to scrapbook and dress it up (in the limited amount of daylight hours I have, no less), she and another mom said, "Just get the memories down on paper and you can do all of that later".

Needless to say, I was over-excited and I happily took her up on it. It's the best thing I could have ever done and I want you to try it too. It can be as long or short as you'd like. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner, but there's still room for anecdotes.
Love Letter : I love you! (Message).
Image Source: 123RF

Because of the deep love and connection I have for/with my girls and all the time we've been blessed to spend getting to know each other, I really get all teary-eyed when I write the letters and read over them because it helps me see how beautiful a thing Motherhood is.

It's made me closer to them and it helps me get through those days that they're going absolutely crazy and driving me there as well, because I have recalled those beautiful memories that made me fall in love with my kids in the first place. As long as I have those swirling around in my head, I find my patience lasts much longer and my compassion really comes through before my anger does.

Before I go, I want to share one I wrote with you so that if you choose to do this, you can get an idea of where to start. Although, just like with homeschooling, there's no one way to do this and the more creative you can get, the better it all will be. I would love for you to comment back and let me know any other things you've come up with that myself and others might like to implement or just appreciate. And remember: Don't edit! Write from your Mommy's Heart.



From: Mommy's Heart
To:Yusrah & Safiyyah
March 11, 2011
 Re: When You Hold My Hand
 Dear Yusrah,  
I love it when you hold my hand. You hold it like you'll never let it go. It's the best thing in the world;^) Your little soft fingers are so warm and when they curl around mine I feel so secure. I hope you do, too.

Re: When You Read To Me & The Things You Say
Dear Safiyyah,

I'm so proud of you and how well you are reading these days. You are doing a phenomenal job!! I love that you are reading to ME now, after all the books you've patiently listened to me read to YOU all this time. I just watch your eyes move over the page and am in awe that you not only learned that from me, but you're teaching yourself new things because every day you get better. Something you should know about Mommies: We always, always worry. And, I worry constantly if I'm doing this homeschooling thing just right. Thank you so much for the reassurance, it's right on-time and I'm excited to keep learning with you, My Baby.
 * * *
 On Wed, we were traveling around to our different activities and I used my GPS to find the easiest, quickest way around since we went to three different places.

When we were on our way to the new Big Girl Story Time at the Howard Co. Library, I was fussing at the GPS for trying to send me the wrong way when you said "Mommy, if you know how to get there already then why are you listening to your GPS?"
All I could do was laugh and say "Yes, baby, you're right. I was just trying to see what the GPS would say in case I hadn't thought of a faster way to get there. But, you're right." and I called and shared it with Grandma who laughed equally hard. Some days I think Allah made you all so much smarter than us.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a fabulous idea and I really enjoyed reading your lovely letters. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful idea! And absolutely beautiful letters! Thanx soooooooooooo much for this idea. I too have many things saved that I will SOME DAY put into a book (or 3!) for my son - but how much more timely and special would it be to also have handwritten letters of love & appreciation also for him. Give Thanx again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your letters. I leave notes about myself and my children to them in 'personal' journals I make. I can imagine that when I'm gone, a great grandchild of mine will take down one of those books and read and learn about me and how I lived and loved. Thanks for inspiration to put a new entry in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited about the response I received on this post. It seems this idea has touched your hearts like it has mine, and I relish that thought! Thanks for reading and for your comments, they are all so inspiring and I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have a comment, question or suggestion to share?